Have you’ve ever broken or lost one of your orthodontic appliances and sighed to your self “Thank goodness I’m not in a remote state away from my doctor”? This isn’t uncommon, but we have the perfect travel advice for such disasters. If you are traveling this holiday season, it is important not to ignore your orthodontic care while you are away, as there are no holiday breaks from taking care of your oral health. Whether you have braces or Invisalign aligners, here are some things you should keep in mind while traveling.
In the same manner in which you pack a hair kit, a swimming kit, party outfits etc, you must remember your dental or ortho-kit. This kit should include:
- Regular and travel sized toothbrush
- A regular or travel sized mouth rinse
- A small mirror – you’ve got to check that your appliance are clear and tartar free. We care about your oral health and self-esteem so always check that you don’t have food or plaque between your braces, trays or tooth gaps.
- Orthodontic Wax – Excellent for irritation when your braces are fairly new and you are still having sensitivity issues or discomfort
- Rubber bands- You don’t want a situation where your rubber band snaps and you have none to re-attach to your orthodontic appliances ( i.e your braces).
- For Invisalign aligner wearers – a new set of trays ( especially if you’ll be gone for a while)
When you are planning a trip, please include a visit to your orthodontist prior to booking that flight, train or bus ride. It’s best to know if you might need some extra supplies or need to take some precautions while away.
It is important to know, that sometimes a bracket could break, or a wire might poke out, in those instances, don’t panic, here’s what you do. If one of your wires or brackets break, but there is no damage to your teeth, it’s simple, avoid bending the wire or trying to pull it out. That will only cause more damage. Instead just cover any sharp and uncomfortable edges with wax and make an appointment to see your orthodontist as soon as possible. If you happen to be away for an extended period of time, the you may call your orthodontist for advise on how to proceed, or visit a local practice.
As previously stated, the best way to prevent dental disasters while on your well earned holiday trip, is to book an appointment with your doctor prior let them know how long you’d be gone, and possibly provide you with a kit to get you through any orthodontic mishaps. To book an appointment, call us today.